Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Our Story

I've decided to share our story, little one.  The one that tells how your Mom and Dad met and why they fell in love.  Every couple has a story and your Daddy and I happen to love ours.  In fact, your Daddy says, "If you don't believe in God, listen to our story."  See what you think...

We actually grew up together.  I grew up on Windover Ln. in Granger and your Dad grew up on Carriage Hills Dr. in South Bend, just about 4 streets over.  We went to the same school from first grade through our graduation from high school.  Though we had known each other that long, we weren't really friends and didn't hang out together.  We each dated other people and were anxious to go off to our respective colleges.  Your Daddy played baseball (very well) and I was a dancer.

We both LOVED college.  For many reasons.  In the end, we both graduated in the summer of 2003 and jumped head first into our own careers.  Mind you, neither of us were thinking about the other.  We were happy and enjoying our lives as young professionals.  My friends were getting married in droves and Dad was enjoying single life in South Florida with your Uncle Carlos. 

Then in the summer of 2006, both your parents were invited to the wedding of a classmate.  Your Dad almost didn't go because he had three weddings that summer all three weeks apart and didn't feel like he could make the trip one more time all the way from South Florida.  The only reason I was invited was because the bride's parents were good friends with Grandma and Grandpa Stirdivant so the whole family was invited.  I was living in Chicago at the time so I drove into South Bend to meet Grandma and Grandpa Stirdivant and Aunt Cameron and Uncle Chris.  I will never forget walking into Clay United Methodist Church and seeing your Dad walking in at the same time.  He looked so HANDSOME.  You should know that your Dad loves to get dressed up for weddings.  He definitely looked sharp that night.  He said a big hello and introduced me to a girl he was walking in with, followed by her mother.  I assumed this was his girlfriend so I didn't think much beyond how handsome he looked.

Later at the reception I noticed Dad was on the dance floor a lot (he does love to dance!) and since your Aunt Cameron and I love to dance we were out there a lot too.  Your Dad asked me to dance a couple of times and I felt guilty since he was with a date and then he told me the girl wasn't his girlfriend.  We had so much fun dancing until the end of the night when he asked me to go to a local place to meet up with some other friends of his from high school.  He finally convinced me so we walked in and he grabbed my hand.  He didn't really let go all night.

This was the night I fell for your Dad.  I was never the same after that night.  Of course we didn't really mention to anyone that we were seeing each other once a month until 6 months later, but we loved spending time together.  The funny thing is that I hated dating...not your Dad but everyone BUT your Dad.  I could only be myself with him because he had known me so long.  I enjoyed every minute with him.  I loved how relaxed he was and how easy he made our relationship.  I loved that he enjoyed long conversations (of course that is all we had for two years since we lived so far apart).  We'll talk more about those conversations but know that these high school classmates fell in love.  They loved each other so much that you are coming soon!  You are the beginning of our new story.

My Cup Runneth Over.

No comments:

Post a Comment